Welcome to Brendan's freelance profile!
Location and workplace preferences
- Dublin, Ireland
- Remote only
- Primarily works remotely
Freelancer code of conduct signed
Read the Malt code of conduct
Native or bilingual
Brendan in a few words
I currently excel at content marketing, brand messaging and PR/communications for a B2C and B2B fintech in the payments and FX space.
However I also have significant experience the e-commerce, gaming and media sectors as well.
My core competences lie in persona development and brand storytelling, having worked as a journalist, PR and marketer using agile principles.
I have also been a magazine editor for many years and was chief editorial strategist (and hands on editor) in my last role including executing as lead webinar/podcast producer, managing PR, social and digital agencies and writing and editing social posts, articles, scripts, storyboards, brand messages, web and ad copy and product content.
I’m adept at quickly becoming a subject matter expert and homing in on the elements of a story which will resonate with specific personas including customers and media.
I have also worked with some of Ireland’s leading brands (Paddy Power, Independent News and Media, Betfair) and recently launched a fintech brand, Zai, after the merger of CurrencyFair and Assembly Payments, helping the company win the Deal of the Year award at The Finnes in Australia.
I can also build and manage a team of writers, designers, comms managers, acquisition/retention specialists, freelancers and agencies and collaborate cross-functionally with sales, inbound marketers, customer experience, complaince and product.
I am skilled at using a sophisticated, integrated martech stack, with Hubspot at its heart to deliver leads to sales teams and iterating and optimising using multiple content data points.
Head of Content Marketing and PR
• Develop and execute content marketing strategy for B2B and B2C products, managing content team of in-house writers and designers and freelancers/ agencies
• Cutting edge content ideation, development and delivery across, web, video, podcast, blogs, email, PR, social and copy designed to drive leads and brand awareness
• Content team management including CRM, design, writers, freelance resources and marketing ops
• Grow existing outbound B2C content strategy and tactical plan
• Build inbound B2B demand generation strategy using HubSpot funnel across awareness, consideration and decision to develop MQL and deliver SQLs
• Develop and execute account-based management (ABM) strategy with 1:1, 1 :few and 1 :many content across buyer groups
• Content QA through daily reviews, proofreading and editing text, building best practice through iterative progress towards high/mature editorial standard
• Thought leadership within the content and marketing team from MVP to best in class content suites
• Agency management
• Content team development and stakeholder education through demos, workshops, guides and 1-2-1s
• Close collaboration with customer service, product, sales and compliance teams as well as acquisition and business intelligence within the marketing department
• Customer-led, agile content methodology including persona development, SEO keyword-driven problem solving, surveys and client user story requirement gathering
• Tone of voice and style gatekeeping
• Driving organic growth opportunities and acting as scientific lead for proposals and pitches
• PR and external communications management – press releases, thought leadership, awards, commentary, op-eds, messaging - including managing agency and one internal comms manager
• Daily, weekly, monthly reporting and analytics across HubSpot, Google Analytics, Mixpanel, YouTube and social platforms
Head of Content and Communications
Head of Product Delivery
• Responsible for product delivery on innovative blockchain international trade platform (PaaS)
• Managing team of 20 developers (five squads across Netherlands, India and Dublin) a scrum master, two product owners, product analyst, two UX designers, and eight testers (functional and automated)
• Backlog and roadmap development and management
• Vendor management - IBM
• Stakeholder and shareholder engagement
• Customer insights (qualitative and quantitive)
• Design thinking and problem solving
• Business casing and prioritisation We.Trade is a cutting edge smart contracting platform, facilitating businesses and banks across Europe to collaborate and create a transparent & secure environment for international trade transactions. The platform simplifies the trade finance processes by digitalising the management, tracking and security of domestic and international trade transactions utilising distributed ledger technology and smart contracts. It was the first commercially launched blockchain-based trade platform for banks and their commercial clients in Europe.
E-commerce Product Manager
• Deliver and execute against the digital strategy with cross-functional responsibility for product, marketing, content and communications
• Put customers at the heart of all thinking by truly understanding user segmentations, their behaviours and their specific problems
• Know the market, the product and the competition extremely well and operate from a basis of knowledge and confidence
• Create user stories and product requirements translating custom input into product features via SCRUM and Kanban methodologies
• Own Conversion Rate Optimisation and ensure performance is always at the heart of the digital product agenda
• Ensure the product function lives and breathes metrics and performance creating a data driven culture for prioritising work
• Support the dev team during each release cycle to clarify requirements, make priority calls, review test plans and determine release schedule
• Provide the voice of the customer to the development team and ensure teams have a clear understanding of what they are developing and the value it delivers
• Build the understanding across the group of our acquisition performance metrics
• Have a bias for action and break down complex problems into steps that drive product development at speed
• Communicate clearly a product vision from a commercial lens
• Create reports that can be leveraged by stakeholders
• Lead, engage and inspire colleagues to plan and measure impactful conversion
• Tools include Magento II, SAP Business 1, Realex, Tableau, Zen Desk, Bronto, JIRA, Google Analytics, Google Optimizer, New Relic, Google Ad Manager, Facebook Ad Manager, Ahrefs, Search Console
Granahan McCourt Capital
Digital Product and Marketing Manager
• Own the definition, development and delivery of digital strategy and product roadmap for GMC suite of businesses using agile methodologies and SCRUM framework
• Manage agile sprint delivery through SCRUM ceremonies include planning, stand ups, reviews and retrospectives and including sprint and release planning, product backlog prioritisation, user stories and testing
• Own the project management aspects of ad hoc projects such as GDPR compliance including requirements gathering, stakeholder management, risk and issue management
• Develop, drive and improve analytics and reporting across the businesses and produce and interpret dashboards and reports
• Act as UX champion and voice of customer within GMC businesses
• Work with CEO to develop strategic and tactical marketing plans and co ordinate marketing, operations, content and communications, business development, design and product teams to drive growth
• Establish and refine structures, processes and workflows around the business to improve efficiency
• Produce go-to-market plans and manage day-to-day marketing operations
• Establish and drive company-wide objectives based on data and core competencies
• Review contracts and agreements with suppliers and agencies
• Manage third-party supplier relationships (PR, SEO, dev, design, marketing, event management)
• Discover and nurture in-house talent and maximize career opportunities for existing staff
• KPI –site performance, revenue, traffic, engagement
Independent News & Media
Product Manager @ Independent.ie
• Managing cross-functional teams (data, dev, marketing, editorial, clients) to build value-added media and ecommerce products
• Defining product release requirements for the development team and the go-to-market strategy including product positioning, key benefits, and target customer
• Evangelize as a subject matter expert for sport & business verticals
• Drive UX thinking from concept, through development and lifecycle
• Provide design and development teams with end-user requirements (via user stories or other templates) to create product development plans
• Develop business cases for new investments with product road mapping, financial modelling, and metric setting & analysis
• Engage sales team to maximize commercial impact
• External management of third-party platforms from contract negotiation, through to business case and integration
• Sample KPI – engagement, revenue Develop business cases for new investments with product road mapping, financial modeling, and metric setting & analysis Engage sales team to maximize commercial impact External management of thhird-party platforms from contract negotiation, through to business case and integration Sample KPI – engagement, revenue
Head of Global Content
• Managing four teams (16 staff) - UK & Ireland Content, International Content and Localisation, Technical Projects (product) and Editorial – including hiring, training, performance measurement across a dozen websites in 10 languages
• Responsible for 24/7 site operations including schedule, strategy and prioritization management – approximately 200 pieces of content per day
- facilitating A/B testing to optimize site content, publishing new product, localization & regulatory compliance
• Implemented and managed move from Omniture to Google Analytics with weekly and monthly metrics reporting and regular analytics workshops
• Corporate Affairs champion for Betfair Ireland
• Driving positive, productive and progressive relationships with leadership teams including COO, MDs and senior stakeholders (CRM, Brand, Product, P&Ls, PR, Social)
• Ongoing training – courageous conversations course, project management course
• Sample KPI – acquisition, retention, reach, engagement
Card Player Media/Poker Media Consulting
Business Development and Content Manager
• Content development and management at one of the world's largest poker portals and print magazines
• Website development including CardPlayer.com, PokerMediaConsulting.com, PaddyPowerPoker blog as well as numerous commercially-driven micro sites
• Communications strategy leadership and implementation. My clients include Paddy Power, Boylesports, BetVictor, International Game Technology
• In-house and freelance team management to multiple deadlines over multiple time zones
• Editor of Europe's oldest and largest poker magazine, Card Player Europe
• Social media development and management resulting in around 50,000 fans/ followers with Card Player's Facebook and Twitter accounts
• Online and print PR (paid, earned, owned), agency management, campaigns including some of Paddy Power's largest ever pr successes
• Expert in brand journalism aimed at adding value through creating engaging content to grow reputation and influence
• Strategic, integrated communications planning across multiple media platforms and territories
• Successful SEO implementation using organic keywords in combination with authentic content measurable with Google analytics and other key tools such as Topsy, Alexis, Search Latte
• Viral video successes with over 500,000 video views
• Executive reporting and presentation to board level
• Development of global media and pr strategies including Paddy Power's first social media platform
• Internal communications development and execution including emails, newsletters, bespoke reports, platform selection
• Press office management with weekly press and news releases and regular journalist liason
• PR event management including photoshoots, photocalls, media event management (up to 100 journalists), live reporting, blog development and management
• Hiring and training freelance writers
• Thought leadership in communications
• Developing media diversification strategies, user experience and community building
• Succesful global pr and media campaigns include the World Strip Poker Championship and Irish Poker Open
Consumers' Association of Ireland
• Reporting on retail financial sector, telecoms, digital technology and web developments.
• Representing Consumers' Association at BEUC (European Consumers' Association) and on advisory committees such as Morrow Working Group (brokers), ComReg (telecoms), and IFSRA (financial regulator).
Freelance Editor, Journalist, Researcher - As a freelancer
• Client list includes Finance and Finance Dublin magazine, Ireland; Lafferty Publications and Lafferty Councils, UK; www.MyHome.ie property portal, Ireland; EsatBT, Ireland; MPG Research, Belgium; ePayments News Review, Toronto; Sain magazine, Sydney.
• Staff reporter for International Accounting Bulletin, The Accountant, Management Consultant International, Cards International and Electronic Payments International.
• Research projects include authoring, co-authoring and editing Cards Data Bank Europe, E-Payments: Emerging Strategies for Value Exchange in E commerce, Cards and Consumer Credit on the Web and E-purses: Future Money of False Dawn?
• Research projects commissioned by third parties including Visa Asia-Pacific, Barclaycard, Deutsche Bank, Amex, Cetelem, Lloyds TSB.
Are you sure? Your recommendation will be permanently deleted